The family of a British woman detained in the US for three weeks because of a visa mix-up say she has left the immigration detention centre and are hopeful she is on her way home.

Rebecca Burke, 28, a graphic artist from Monmouthshire, was trying to cross from the US state of Washington into Canada when she was refused entry.

Canadian authorities told her to go back to the US and fill in new paperwork before returning.

However, when she tried to re-enter the US, she was handcuffed and put in a cell before being taken to Tacoma Northwest detention facility.

Her father, Paul Burke, previously said she was being held by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) “in horrendous conditions” and had not had access to legal representation.

Speaking on Tuesday, Burke said the family was hoping she was on her way home. “We’re hoping she is, we can’t be sure. The only thing we can be sure of is she left the detention centre yesterday afternoon, but because ICE do not communicate very well and took her phone off her, we can’t be sure [that she is coming home],” he said, adding that the family were feeling emotional after the ordeal.

  • Olap@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    5
    arrow-down
    1
    ·
    16 days ago

    Such a simple thing to deal with here, she wants to go home ffs. Book a flight!